CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Starting the semester early

Tomorrow marks the beginning of possibly the last semester of school that I will ever have. Classes don't officially start until Sept. 11, but we can work on clinicals early. So, instead of enjoying my 3 weeks off, I'm planning on doing at least 70-80 of my 240 hours before I step foot in the classroom. I'm heading downtown at 6:30 (tentatively) in the morning to spend some time in the ICU at St. Jude to see what it's like. I've never worked in an ICU, so I don't know how comfortable I'll be. I can only hope that my preceptor will be very patient, as I am a bit nervous and do not have a lot of firsthand experience with pediatric oncology. I'm doing 80 hours total in the ICU and will be doing the rest at Lebonheur, which is where I truly hope to end up working after graduation. Anything would be better working in a clinic/ER where today I seriously had a not-too-bright 15 year old girl who basically came for a pregnancy test and had been pregnant once before. Obviously, she didn't learn her lesson the first time. I just wanted to tell her to go to Dollar Tree and pick up a home pregnancy test in the check-out line. (Thank GOD she wasn't pregnant!). Anyway, I just get really sick of dealing with non-emergent stuff and am really excited about what all I'll be seeing and experiencing at a true pediatric facility. Wish me luck!!

1 comment:

Sara said...

Hi! You've been tagged...check my blog!